Monday, October 17, 2011

Going back to our time in Durban

Durban
Ran outnof time to write about Our time in Durban, so I'm here to recap what happened :)
We started off our first morning in Durban with some unfortunate news, my surprise birthday gift from Holly had been cancelled. :( Instead we decided to venture off into the city to find some fun. Our first stop was the new soccer stadium, Moses Mediba Stadium. Its first match was for the world cup in 2010. There is a beautiful arch that goes over the middle of the stadium that you can take a tram to the top, so we did that and got some great view of the city and the Indian Ocean. After that we came across the Big Rush, the worlds largest swing. And being in the playground business, how could I pass up an opportunity to take a ride?? So, I signed up for it. After taking 150 steps up the arch over the stadium, you walk over a platform that over looks the field. From there, they hook you up to a big strap/rope that is connected to the middle of arch. And then they say "3, 2, 1, jump!" then you're off to the swing off your life!! Well, first you're falling and then the rope catches up and you swing across the field. When I got up to the platform I thought we would get let off in the middle of the field. No, they pull you back up and you have to walk back down the arch. I think the trip back up was just as terrifying as the jump, hahahaha... But definitely fun overall! There will be video and pictures posted later!
After the Big Rush, we went down to the beach where we had a nice lunch where we could see the beach and all of the little stands selling homemade goods. Then we decided it was our turn to jump in the water, so we pulled out our beach towels and swimming suits, and jumped into the ocean. Not warm at all! But after a little bit of time it certainly got better. It was a lot of fun having all of the waves crash into you, and see how far they could push you towards the shore.
Once we got back to the guest house, Holly found out that my surprise birthday gift had been rescheduled for the next morning, very exciting! We went out for a nice Thai dinner, and went to bed.
The next morning we had to be up early be up early because by surprise birthday gift from Holly was surfing lessons :) It was an hour long, one on one session, and it was a blast! I may not be very good (and I'm sure that doesn't surprise some of you) but I still had fun trying! I would say that I got up twice, but they weren't long enough times for Holly to take my picture. Haha... My instructor was great, very helpful and very encouraging. I can't wait to try again!
After cleaning up, we took a three hour drive north to the safari, where we are now. And even took a game drive that evening. So, I feel like my theme song for Saturday should have been Surfin Safari by the Beach Boys, but renamed Surf and Safari :)

P.S. We enjoy comments if you have one :) Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I'm still diggin' the blog. My advice, don't ride a bike out there! I saw a video on the Today Show about some guy getting ran over by a big animal w/ horns, cracked his helmet and gave him a concussion but then he was fine!!! Also saw a commercial for an Air Show down there, you didn't happen to see it did you!?!?

    Glad to hear you're having fun! I know we're enjoying following the blog!

    Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments Lisa! It is great to hear that someone out there is reading it :) Ps, in South Africa it feels like we are sooo much closer to you, yet somehow you're still half a world away?!

    ReplyDelete